That's why one day recently, I decided to dig deep into my collection of recipes and took out (actually, "dusted off" is more like it) an old -- and I mean old -- recipe I had cut out years ago from a magazine. And by old, I mean from 1988!
Anyway, there it was. Exactly what I was looking for: a fresh peach cream tart.
I wanted to make a quick dessert for my husband's uncle, who was visiting us for dinner. And darn, if that tart didn't fit the bill perfectly! Beautiful, ripe peaches were all around me, and I just couldn't resist any more.
So I made the tart. And it was perfect. Not too sweet. Not too complicated. Very pretty. In other words, just right.
Now wipe that drool off your keyboard. And before you have to beg, I am just going to go ahead and share the recipe with you. Hope you love it as much as we did!
FRESH PEACH CREAM TART
Adapted from Cooking Light
Makes 8 servings
3/4 c. cake flour
3 T. butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
2-3 T. ice water
2 c. peeled,sliced fresh peaches (about 1 pound)
1/4 c. sugar, divided
1 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal and is pale yellow (about 3 1/2 minutes). Sprinkle ice water (1 tablespoon at a time) over surface; toss with a fork until flour is moistened and mixture is crumbly. (Do not form a ball.)
- Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional heavy-duty plastic wrap and chill 15 minutes.
- Roll dough, still covered, to a 10-inch circle; place in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed.
- Fit dough into a 9-inch round tart pan, and remove plastic wrap. Prick bottom of pastry with a fork. Chill 15 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until lightly browned; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine peaches, 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg, tossing gently to coat; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoon sugar, sour cream, and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Spoon into pastry shell. Arrange peaches over sour cream mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until set. Garnish with fresh mint springs, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Post a Comment